Saturday, April 27, 2013

The Pursuit for Academic Freedom

Since the first teachers, there has been an understanding of how one should do the job.  In particular, the historian was tasked with making sense of what happened – to put it into perspective or better, allow the student to do so once they were given the facts.  Nothing was considered beyond the historian’s purview.  Like Keats, historians stand silent on a hill in Darien making use of everything available to use to better understand our story and our surroundings.  Everything is relevant.  All things, potentially, can matter.  For a historian, the concept of academic freedom is one of the most sacred components of their job and that which attempts to prevent said freedom is antithetical to the pursuit of knowledge.  Unfortunately, in my career and recently in the news, there have been people who have sought to limit that freedom. 

Several years ago, I sought to teach my students about the various world religions but I’m certainly no expert on all faiths.  Therefore, I planned a week whereby five men of faith from Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism visited my classroom to explain their faith in a historical context.  The visits were amazing and even other teachers stopped by to listen.  However, rather quickly, some parents called to complain and express concern about non-Christian men of faith teaching their “children.”  Even the word “children” is on purpose to further express fragility and impressionability.  The parents’ use of the word also infantilizes the student.  I stood firm on my choice of lessons but it was not without some meetings and intense conversations.     

Earlier this semester at by brand-spanking new school, I was chastised by a parent over a Supreme Court case about privacy issues because it centered on a case dealing with two gay men arrested for having sex.  My students, who are seniors, are required to research individual cases and present it to the class based on its constitutionality.  The parent was outraged that I was “teaching” her son sodomy.  When told of the complaint, I was in a state of disbelief, wondering if the mother really thought I was teaching sodomy.  The case is not about sodomy per se but rather about privacy rights and the state’s ability to legislate such activity.  The case by the way, should you want to peruse it yourself, is Bowers v. Hardwick (1986).  The Supreme Court must hear a plethora of things and as a teacher of government, sometimes it behooves me to broach controversial subjects as it relates to how we, as a nation, struggle with our freedom, rights and the consequences thereof.   

This past week, a parent balked at an AP Human Geography textbook that asked the student to consider why Palestinians might choose to become suicide bombers in Israel.  The parent, reacting to one sentence that was a part of an entire section on the Israeli/Palestinian relations, created a ruckus saying that the textbook and, by proxy, the class and the teacher were anti-Jewish and teaching children to sympathize with terrorists.  James Rubenstein, the writer of the textbook in question, was forced to speak up and in a missive to Fox News, said that condemnation of an act does not negate the need or correctness of understanding why it happened.  One of the reasons that so much effort went into capturing the Boston bomber alive was to understand what happened, why and how extensive the plot went.  One cannot do that without asking questions to better understand the motives.  It does not justify the act and it certainly does not suggest a moral equivalence between the terrorist act and the response.  Mr. Rubenstein implies that it is better to seek understanding than simply condemning.   

I believe in academic freedom but I and others like me pay for that belief.  I’m a conservative, as even the most casual reader of my blog will note but I’ve been called liberal, communist, subversive and much worse.  I understand the importance of parents to the education process.  However, in my endeavors in my classroom, I’m not going to not cover something because it is controversial.  I’m not going to pick and choose the history that I want to share.  Not to make too fine a point on this but those measures are the tactics of dictators.   

I’m a historian and if I dare claim the tradition set forth by Herodotus, Sima Qian, ibn Khaldun, Tacitus and Leopold von Ranke, I must try and maintain a sense of objectivity.  The parents’ role is found prior to the student entering the classroom.  Parents must discuss and decide what kind of education they want for their student and then find the place that will nurture their child in the way they wish.  Once the parent has made the decision, however, it then becomes the responsibility of the teacher to their craft and to their student how best to proceed.

No comments:

Post a Comment