Friday, September 16, 2011

Tidbits

I don’t believe that Governor Perry is as dumb as others portray. In the debates, he seems quite nimble on his feet at times and while he stammers and seems unsure at other times, my overall impression is that his mental acuity is not as limited as others might hope…

Did I hear that Barry Manilow has endorsed Rep. Ron Paul of Texas? (Insert your own witty response to that one)…

I know that a couple of years ago, Don Imus was persona non grata for most and even today, some people continue to declare an innate racism with the septuagenarian former shock jock. However, being from the northeast, I’ve listened to him for some twenty plus years. I’ve not known him to be a racist – as much as one can know anyone through the medium of radio. Today, his audiences seem bigger than ever and his ability to interview political pundits and officials is as smooth as anyone else in the business…

I wish I could remember the source, but I read a commentator’s thoughts about the blown opportunity that MSNBC had in their broadcast of the Republican primary debate at the Ronald Reagan Library. Say what you want about Fox News, it is what it is. However, MSNBC comes from a fine journalistic tradition with NBC and to think that the memory and tradition of Huntley and Brinkley, John Chancellor, Tom Brokaw and Tim Russert are in the hands of Al Sharpton, Rachel Maddow and Chris Matthews is a head-shaking thought. They could have righted that ship but when post-debate banter included a call for civility by the aforementioned Mr. Sharpton, I’m not sure how serious to take them…

I saw a video recently of Oscar Peterson and Andre Previn playing together and it was a magical experience. While Previn was a bit removed from his piano playing days, the little number between the two was quite something. Along the same line, I seemed to recall in the deeper part of my mind a drumming dual between Buddy Rich and Ed Shaughnessy of the Doc Severinsen Band. I remember as a child being mesmerized by their playing. If you can find that video and have any appreciation for drumming, or want an appreciation for drumming, you will find your satisfaction…

How old do I sound if I say that we recently had new, energy efficient windows put in and I’m so excited about it…

A group of Columbia University students have accepted a private dinner invitation from Iranian “president” Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and are quite excited about the opportunity. Is this a part of a series of intimate meetings with those who routinely murder and oppress their own people? I wonder who is next in the dinner series. Not exactly My Dinner with Andre…

Education Secretary Arne Duncan is pushing the “Digital Promise” of President Obama, to ensure a push for more technology in the classroom. This is designed to help students improve testable academic success. Technology is not the answer. A commitment to the importance and value of education outside extrinsic incentives is the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment