Sunday, November 10, 2013

Happy Birthday Marines

It has dawned on me that I've never addressed a day that was a very important one for me for nearly four and a half years - November 10.  Today, around the world, men and women are celebrating the 238th birthday of the United States Marine Corps.  For over two centuries, the marines have been the first in and the last out in one conflict after another. 

For me, it changed my life - turning me from directionless to focused.  The drive I learned in the marines put me through college in four years - though I was balancing a double major and working at the same time.  It provided memories and experiences that I'll never forgot.  I've seen lands and talked with people I never would have otherwise and my provincial mindset has grown more global.  I've learned the true meaning of friendship and camaraderie as well as patience and coping skills.  In short, I'm a better man.  I would not be the teacher I am now were it not for my time with the marines.  I certainly would not be the husband I am without the maturity instilled in me in the marines. 

So, for all those wearing the eagle, globe and anchor, serving home and abroad, know that your efforts are appreciated and honored.  Happy Birthday Marines - Semper Fi.      

No comments:

Post a Comment